PDA

View Full Version : Am I ADD?

Stretch
October 10th, 2011, 03:27 AM
I have been wondering for the past year or so if I have ADHD/ADD. I did some research on it, and I noticed some of the main symptoms are not paying attention doing things that are boring.

For me, I find Math is the worst. I try to get my work done, but I get easily distracted by small things. Im not super hyper though, I usually just start screwing my pen, screwing it back together, talking to my peers and what not, however I cant pay attention. Its not just Math, but it seems to be the worst there. I also find myself tapping my pen alot, moving around alot, and just picking random things up.

I did one of those tests online that asks you a bunch of questions, and I answered them all fairly truthfuly, and it says I am 94% ADHD/ADD.

Could someone maybe help clarify if I might actually have ADD/ADHD?

Aragorn
October 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM
You might be ADD. But, if you want to be sure, you should consult a doctor.

Dimitri
October 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I have been wondering for the past year or so if I have ADHD/ADD. I did some research on it, and I noticed some of the main symptoms are not paying attention doing things that are boring.

For me, I find Math is the worst. I try to get my work done, but I get easily distracted by small things. Im not super hyper though, I usually just start screwing my pen, screwing it back together, talking to my peers and what not, however I cant pay attention. Its not just Math, but it seems to be the worst there. I also find myself tapping my pen alot, moving around alot, and just picking random things up.

I did one of those tests online that asks you a bunch of questions, and I answered them all fairly truthfuly, and it says I am 94% ADHD/ADD.

Could someone maybe help clarify if I might actually have ADD/ADHD?
Just because you find your attention span in math to be effected does not mean you have ADHD. Everyone finds it harder to pay attention in a subject that you do not like to study. Also those on-line test are not legitimate for diagnoising something like this. You need to be diagnoised by a physician.

ADHD is more common in boys than girls, and it affects 3-5 percent of children in the United States. The principal characteristics of ADHD are

Inattention
Hyperactivity
Impulsivity
No one knows exactly what causes ADHD. It runs in families, so genetics may be a factor. A complete evaluation by a trained professional is the only way to know for sure if your child has ADHD. Treatment often includes medicines to control symptoms. Structure at home and at school is also important. Parenting classes or behavioral therapy may also help.
NIH: National Institute of Mental Health

Aragorn
October 10th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Even then, it is often misdiagnosed.

JouninShinobi
October 10th, 2011, 12:07 PM
i have adhd. adhd is somewhat hard to live wit. ppl w/ adhd/add are hyper,cant consontrate, staarts geting lower grades, cant sit still, and has excessives talking.

Jupiter
October 10th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Did you get distracted during this post? If so, then you are a normal person. However, if you think you need the help, talk to your doctor?

Infidelitas
October 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Did you get distracted during this post? If so, then you are a normal person. However, if you think you need the help, talk to your doctor?

What defines a normal person?

Dimitri
October 10th, 2011, 03:47 PM
What defines a normal person?
Yes, especially when the "Norm" is so vast....

Aragorn
October 10th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I think this is getting kind of off topic.

Jupiter
October 10th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Good point, I really try not to use the word normal. Everyone is different, but when I said that, I meant without a disorder.

Donkey
October 11th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I think this is getting kind of off topic.
Uh, yeah. But please don't backseat moderate. Just report the post.

Let's try to help the OP rather than discuss among ourselves, guys.

ZzKingz
October 23rd, 2011, 07:52 PM
Look, nobody likes to sit down and do homework for five hours after seven hours at school and six hours of sleep. Not wanting to do that doesn't make you abnormal. Try ginseng tea, I love it, and I always have some when I have a lot of history to do. I have ADHD.

Jupiter
October 23rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
Maybe you should go get checked up by a doctor, because none of us can diagnose you.

Aragorn
October 25th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Yeah, he's right. You could have ADHD or you could just be a Kinesthetic learner. You need a doctor to make the diagnosis.