PDA

View Full Version : How do i deal with someone who has ADHD

DerBear
July 17th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Like the title says how do i deal with my cousin who has ADHD and is constantly hyper he does not listen he throws stuff about and kinda annoys me

he does not take meds even though he should

he is 10

any help would be nice

Deleted User
July 17th, 2011, 11:29 AM
By being firm but patient. I've never dealt with kids with ADHD but kids are all hyper to some extent and I've dealt with more than my fair share... ick.

Lots of kids won't listen and sometimes you have to be really strict but still give them a bit of space. If you start yelling and acting like their parents (especially at an older age like 10), it may backfire and they'll listen even less. However, they still need to know that if you're telling them something (ex. "No, do not throw that."), they need to listen.

You can't do much about him not taking his meds but give it time and you'll figure out what clicks with him and what doesn't. Most of what I've learned with kids depends on the kid and a lot of trial and error.

When in doubt, call in the reinforcements (adults).

XxMurderedKissesxX
July 17th, 2011, 01:35 PM
My nephew has ADHD and my oldest brother has ADD.And is sooo annoying,they get all fidgety,cant sit still,they talk non stop and sometimes they make me wanna scream. But then i remember its not their fault. U just have to be very patient and when u need space,go outside for a breather so u dont snap and say something u might regret later. Best thing u can do is keep them busy,take them to a park,play video games,watch tv while eatting snacks and talking. If u tire him out then he will be less hyper. Super long walks usually work. The key is to keep their mind busy. People with ADHD & ADD have over stimulated brains. They need entertained to stay happy. ADHD is hard bc they have that hyper go go go go go factor. Sometimes its hard to keep up with them bc it seems like they NEVER run out of energy,but everyone has a point where their tired and need to calm down and rest. Just find ways to do that and things should be alittle more calm

Dimitri
July 23rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
Being a summer camp councilor I have found that I have to deal with many young boys who have ADHD or ADD (there is a difference between the two) and I have found that the keys or to keep them occupied with different things and activities. I have ADHD myself so I also know how to deal with myself.

I love to work with my hands hence why I play piano and dance (i ALSO LIKE TO MOVE A LOT). Guve him things to do but only for a little while, his attention span is not the best and at that age his is probably about4min, if that at all but if you find somehting he really enjoys doing let him do it as long as he wants.

Do not ignore him, when I was little I always enjoyed being with older kids because i had more in common with them than other kids my age. I have found that many children with ADD or ADHD or very advance thinkers so try doing some of the things for your age group and see if he enjoys them.

If you have anymore questions feel free to e-mail or PM.

Timmy93
July 23rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
treat him like a regular person yes he is hyper but he will use adhd as an excuse but if he was to get in serious trouble down the road well he cant use tha as an excuse so yes be patient but disipline him and if he is hyper tell him to sit down and stand still like really he needs to know how to control that.

DoctorWho
August 1st, 2011, 02:37 PM
My neighbor is 12 and has ADHD and he won't leave me the FUCK alone and he grinds his pills then throws them away he won't calm the fuck down it annoys the shit out of me and everyone else he can't keep his fucking mouth shut either GOD help me

Surferchic2362
August 18th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Nobody is ADHD. You cousin just needs to be disciplined or he needs an activity to do. Sports or something active. The diagnosed my little brother with ADHD and all that was needed was for someone to kick his mother in the butt for pamperng him and letting him get away with everything. A child is a child and will do what he/she wants if they aren't stopped

Dimitri
August 18th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Nobody is ADHD. You cousin just needs to be disciplined or he needs an activity to do. Sports or something active. The diagnosed my little brother with ADHD and all that was needed was for someone to kick his mother in the butt for pamperng him and letting him get away with everything. A child is a child and will do what he/she wants if they aren't stopped
Alright little missy, lemme tell you something:

ADHD, which is a diagnoisable disability is something that I have and is something that is very hard to control. My mother did make sure I was always watched and I grew up in a very structured home but there are times when my hyper-activity gets the better of me.

Not to mention my dad is caption of the sheriffs department, I feel at times like I live on a military base.

Pamperign a child is not always a bad thing but sometimes a child needs some TLC because I will tell you that his mind is running 100+ miles an hour.

Yes, dealing with a diagnoised child with ADHD can be a pain but let me tell you it takes time and commitment from everyone in the family, it may be just as much a problem being your mothers problem as it might be yours. You need to understand that everything cannot be fixed with a swift kick in the rear but it takes time and effort from everyone and positive attitude from all.

If you have anythign else to ask please feel free to e-mail or drop a VM and I will be happy to return it.

WhimsicalFlower
August 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM
you can't judge someone else unless you are in their shoes. i don't have ADHD, but i have lots of other things which people just brush off all the time.

judahtics
August 18th, 2011, 07:21 PM
like you would anyone else. they aren't defective.

DerBear
August 19th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Well thanks everyone chances are it will be another year or so before he visits

Some good advice THANKS!!!

Requesting Lock

Ambrosia
August 19th, 2011, 01:51 AM
OP Request :locked: