PDA

View Full Version : is my friend a schizo?

L
June 1st, 2011, 04:13 AM
he says every now and then he hears voices, he also says he see's demon's as an omen of when some catastrophe is about to happen right before it happens (as in, natural disasters)

he believes he can tell when there is a 'rip in reality' and he believes everything stops while these rips are open, including himself, but unlike everyone else, he can keep thinking while there is a rip in reality, and he sees everyone freeze for a few seconds.

he suffers from depression and has attempted suicide once.

he doesn't understand how other people live their lives without seeing or hearing or generally understanding the things he does.

I'm worried about him, he is seeing someone for his depression, but do you guys think he might have schizophrenia?

Syvelocin
June 1st, 2011, 04:24 AM
You answered your own question. He's depressed. Therefore, cannot be diagnosed with schizophrenia, as stated by the DSM criteria. Symptoms cannot occur during a manic or depressive episode to be considered schizophrenia. Now, there's still the possibility of schizoaffective, but it isn't your place to be contemplating his mental state unless you are quite worried about him, but even then, leave it to a therapist.

MrJC99
July 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I agree with Syvelocin. If your friend is experiencing psychosis and mood problems it sounds like schizoaffective disorder. I would suggest that he speak to a doctor.