PDA

View Full Version : ADHD and are you open about it?

maisy
May 22nd, 2011, 02:54 AM
I have been taking my ADHD medication concerta for a long time now. It really helps me focus and whenever I forget to take it I can tell because I cannot focus oon anything at all! I dont know if its just that I have matured or its because of the concerta but I remember I used to be so much more outgoing and less afraid to do things. I miss the old me but whenever I dont take my concerta I legit act llike I am drunk. Doe sthis happen to anyone else? also when I first started taking the medicine up until 6th grade I didnt really want people to know because I thought people would call me retarted and just act different towards me. Around Five of my close friends know I take it and now I am not so secretive about taking it. Did this happen to you??

DerBear
May 22nd, 2011, 09:42 AM
well i do not have ADHD personaly but my cousin does and he act very mature infact i never see him act like some of the standard steroyo types that u get with ADHD the meds really do work you could pass him in the street and think that he has not got ADHD i guess everyones diffrent

Zenithar
May 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I have been taking my ADHD medication concerta for a long time now. It really helps me focus and whenever I forget to take it I can tell because I cannot focus oon anything at all! I dont know if its just that I have matured or its because of the concerta but I remember I used to be so much more outgoing and less afraid to do things. I miss the old me but whenever I dont take my concerta I legit act llike I am drunk. Doe sthis happen to anyone else? also when I first started taking the medicine up until 6th grade I didnt really want people to know because I thought people would call me retarted and just act different towards me. Around Five of my close friends know I take it and now I am not so secretive about taking it. Did this happen to you??I once took concerta. It had a side effect similar to depression... I've been described as "zombie-like" whilst I was on it.
Vyvanse is a good solution.

last browncoat
June 13th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Me? Im diffrent first I am not very open about it ... this is very hard
this and an speeh problem that I mostly fixed are part of what
messed up my life. It made me an outcast, I try to fit in but its
hard and I hate it. To make matters worse I lost the one person
in my school I KNEW I could trust. I feel as if all my life I have
been giving and not reciving from alot of people... this is the hardesy
subject for me to talk abouteven online. the reason why I have
been hurt so many times by so many people, thats why.

Dorsum Oppel
July 1st, 2011, 08:53 PM
Why would you be scared to tell people? It's not a big deal, at all.
It's not like I go out of the way to inform people, but I might say it if the topic comes up.

Andrewa
July 2nd, 2011, 07:05 AM
im ADHD but i dont take meds

PartyPoison
July 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
Im 17 have add, don't take any meds, and I'm very open about it. My friends make fun of me for it in a loving way.

Comatose
July 7th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I am as open to it as I am to telling people my name/age etc. If somebody asks, they find out, or if it slips into conversation.... I do not tell everyone, as I do not find it necessary to tell everyone "hey, I have ADHD!"

However, I am not ashamed of it, I do not try to hide it. I've been treated and medicated for it ever since I was about 4, so no big deal for me, it's something I've grown up with, and something both my parents and 3 siblings also have.

JRwulf64
August 2nd, 2011, 12:03 AM
i used to take concerta and it didnt work for me. and it also took a while to figure out that it wasnt working like it should so i then started taking Vyvance and it works for me. Im not really open about it, only a few select people know about it and i like to keep it private. Especially because im one of the smart kids in my grade so im affraid that if people found out that i would get made fun of alot.

Voodoo
August 3rd, 2011, 12:10 AM
I'm 100% open about mine.

PandaBear
August 4th, 2011, 10:24 PM
With a lot of people, you can sort of tell they have it, especially if they have a difficult time focusing or act really immaturely. I'm open about mine, mainly because it's pretty obvious I have it a lot of the time, and people wonder why I act the way I do. It's not really a big deal to me, it's not as if having ADD/ADHD is really frowned upon as much as something like being gay or something, so I don't see any reason to be embarrassed about having it.

By the way, I take adderall for my ADHD, and it usually works pretty well... doesn't make me too much like a zombie, and let's me get a bit of my hyperactivity out when it starts wearing off a bit, while still being able to focus. :P

Rebelion
August 8th, 2011, 09:42 PM
You will be supprised

Xilo
August 9th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I once took concerta. It had a side effect similar to depression... I've been described as "zombie-like" whilst I was on it.
Vyvanse is a good solution.

Well I am ADHD and Proud of it! I used to take concerta. It wasn't zombie like to me, just took away my appetite. but I now take Vyvance (Lisdexamphetamine Dimesyla) And I have my appetite and It works great!

Also, I used to be serverly hyper, when I was like two or something, and I would run around the room, out the door, and I was uncontrollably hyper, so my mom took me to a phychiatrist, and he prescribed medicine for me, (Riddelyn at least I think that was what it was called.) and I was just fascinated with the world around me. I was extremely amazed with all the colors and things I hadn't noticed about the world around me. And as a result, I am very intelligent. I am going to college for the second term during next school year. Although I have to remember to take my medicine, or else I am a spaz-ball.

As to being open about it, I always tell people I have ADHD, not right off the bat of course, as long as I tell them that I take medicine that helps me focus and takes my hyperactivity away.

The stereotypes are really annoying. You know the joke: "I don't have ADHD it's just that... oh look, a rabbit!" That is completely opposite of how ADHD people are.

i used to take concerta and it didnt work for me. and it also took a while to figure out that it wasnt working like it should so i then started taking Vyvance and it works for me. Im not really open about it, only a few select people know about it and i like to keep it private. Especially because im one of the smart kids in my grade so im affraid that if people found out that i would get made fun of alot.

And Jrwulf64, like I said, I am also one of the smart kids in my class, and a few people don't talk to me much because I am so smart, not cause of the ADHD. It's ok though It's not that big of a deal. Usually people that have a specific "mental illness", excell. Like Temple Grandin. Google her. I choose to be open about it but if you don't, then it's up to you. :)

HungAndYoung
August 10th, 2011, 01:03 AM
im open to friends

MalditoDia
August 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I've tooken most of those medicines and they worked. The last onei took was riffelin and I was a zombie. Now I don't take any meds and when people ask what's wrong I just say shit, nuthn. I tell everybody I have it when I hang with them. I love being difrent in a way and I'm always glad I have my. Back up system. Other people with it!!!!!! :)

NotAfraid
August 18th, 2011, 12:36 AM
It's just not something I flaunt about. I also think that the ADD is a "gift" is a load of s***. ADD is not a gift, no more than not being able to walk or blindness is a gift. Does it mean that we can't be creative and intelligent? Sure. If someone asks, I tell them, and I tell them the blunt truth.;)

meme1255
August 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I have ADHD and I'm not closed about that - But I usually tell that I have it only when I know them for some time ...

PS: ADHD really is not gift , it's just making problems sometimes - For example you talk too much and others don't like you for that because they cannot imagine that - As you cannot imagine for ex. being blind...

Sadworld
October 28th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Well, I don't mind if people know about my ADHD. They don't treat me any different, either because they never knew me any different or they don't care. Either ways I don't mind.

I took meds before, Strattera, but stop because I was something like a bad patient. I didn't took it regularly, which I'm regretting now. I can't concentrate on my work. Probably will start taking it again.

fancy
November 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
i have adhd who cares i am open about it . i have taken pills for it but it made me worse then i am off them.i do not take it any more i am very mucher . i have ancity too i have alot of menta isus and that stuff. and in german
Ich habe ADHS, wer ich bin offen darüber Sorgen. Ich habe Pillen für sie genommen, aber es machte mich noch schlimmer, dann bin ich weg them.i nehmen Sie es nicht mehr i sehr Mucher bin. Ich habe ancity auch ich habe eine Menge von menta isus und das Zeug

canadaski
November 13th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I try not to tell people about it, particularly teachers. The only reason is that it often sounds like I'm trying to use it as an excuse, even though it is the culprit for my lower than average grades. I've had it pretty bad for awhile but am not medicated.

Unsolvedmind
November 13th, 2011, 11:31 PM
@Maisy I am exactly you

@Pandabear I also take adderall
I am very open about it

Everyone like us who have ADD/ADHD we all just have a extra challange in life

Marry the Night
November 14th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I have almost all of the signs of ADHD, and I believe I have it, but I'd never want to be tested for it as I wouldn't really want people knowing. I think it's my business and my problem to get around myself, not anyone else's. *shrug*

ImCoolBeans
November 19th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Please don't bump old threads :locked: