PDA

View Full Version : My Mum has schizophrenia - could I inherit it?

bleedoutlove
April 26th, 2011, 02:43 PM
My Mum has fought valium addiction, alcoholism and lives with schizophrenia. I have quite a few mental disorders aswell, but I've always been extremely paranoid - and she has paranoid schizophrenia - could I inherit it later in life? I'm 13

MadManWithaBox
April 26th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Its possible, but not certain. I'm schizophrenic, but neither of my parents have it.

Syvelocin
April 26th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Like Matt said, it's possible. Know that it is much more likely that a child will develop mental health issues if mental health issues run in the family, than if a child without that history were to develop it. It doesn't even have to be the same disorder either. Some people with schizophrenia have bipolar parents.

I inherited my mum's bipolar disorder, assuming I'm bipolar (my psychologist has been contemplating whether I have schizophrenia). I don't know the exact statistics, but it has been shown that it is much more likely to be passed on than occurring with no familial ties with the disorder.

Schizophrenia
May 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
if you have schizophrenic parent you have more chances to get schizophrenia than a child who don't have,but it doesn't mean you will get it for sure

JulioLovesYou
June 25th, 2011, 06:54 AM
schizophrenia is an inherited disease that can be triggered by many things such as psychoactive substances, or trauma

so just don't freak the freak out:)

Shau-Shau
December 6th, 2011, 03:58 AM
just like what everyone else said, its possible. but it doesnt mean that it will happen to you. my mom has schizophrenia too. so, i know exactly what you're going through. in the past, it seems like i have been running from my own mind because i was afraid of inheriting her disease. but i realized, that schizophrenia wasnt the one holding me down, but it was my own fear. so, my advise to you, is that dont worry. you are too young to worry about that!

ShatteredWings
December 6th, 2011, 07:44 PM
8mo bump, locking