PDA

View Full Version : Can a person guess that they have schizophrenia?

SometimesThere
April 14th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Lately I've been told that a person suffering from schizophrenia can never tell that they have it, until they've been officially diagnosed. I suppose that makes sense - if you are suffering from paranoid schizophrenia, it would be hard to know those delusions you are experiencing are not real.

However, I wonder if people who are in the developing stage of schizophrenia might be able to tell if they have schizophrenia. After all, they haven't had an episode yet, so they might be able to tell that they have something.

Anyway I'm just curious. Do you think a person could realise they have schizophrenia? And how likely is it that they would realise?

Noooooooooo
April 14th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Do you think a person could realise they have schizophrenia?

Yes and no. Some can just think they could have it others can be sure have it. Best way to find out - Go to the doctor and explain him the situation.

And how likely is it that they would realise?

We can't answer that.

ShatteredWings
April 14th, 2011, 04:19 PM
In moments of lucidity, one can realize they have a problem and are devloping sypmtoms of skitzophrenia, yes.

Syvelocin
April 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Once I did the research, I really did think I had it. And still do, actually. I don't think I have it yet, but that I'm developing it, as I have about 90% of the "early signs."

I think so, yes. In the early stages, I'm sure it's possible. Of course, later when it's developed and they were never aware that schizophrenia was a possibility, I see that whether they have it or not might be unknown, as, like you said, the hallucinations and delusions grow to become something that they truly believe is reality. I think in milder cases though, that they can realize they have it if they're told so.

MadManWithaBox
April 15th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I got diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was 15, and I'd had no idea up to that. I thought it was me just getting myself through everything bad that happened. I didn't believe the diagnosis for ages, despite being told by two more doctors. When I finally accepted it, I googled it, and so much of the symptoms was me, I was shocked.

SometimesThere
April 15th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Interesting.

It makes sense to me that it depends on the person in question. The milder the schizophrenia is, and less frequent the 'episodes' are, the more likely a person may begin to see that what they are experiencing isn't real.

I was reading a bit more about this and I found the early stage of schizophrenia is called the Prodromal Schizophrenia, and this stage is where a person is most likely to learn that they are in fact in danger of developing schizophrenia fully. Unlike a person who has full case of schizophrenia, a Prodromal Schizophrenic might think something along the lines "Someone MIGHT be able to read and control my mind" - but would doubt this statement to some extent. When the true schizophrenia kicks in (depending on the type) they will find it much harder to question these beliefs.

Anyway, I find the whole thing interesting.

I'm worried at the moment that I'm also in this prodormal stage. The example I gave above is something I've experienced along with some minor hallucinations. But I'm going to see a psychiatrist soon, so hopefully I'll then know for sure. If I am developing schizophrenia, I'll be very lucky in that I caught it early.

Another reason why I asked the question at first was because I've seen (on other websites) people genuinely worried that they have schizophrenia and being told that they couldn't possible have, because it's not possible for a person with schizophrenia to know. This seems dangerous to me - what if the person really does have schizophrenia but doesn't go to a doctor because of one other poster?

I've heard also that women usually have a milder case of schizophrenia than men, maybe then women are more likely to know if they have schizophrenia.

MadManWithaBox
April 16th, 2011, 02:32 AM
If you really want to know, or if you really are worried, then see a doctor, and tell them you're fear. They'll be able to confirm or deny it. I have a pretty bas case of it(thats what the doctor says, and what I think now) and like I say, I had no idea, so maybe.

SometimesThere
April 16th, 2011, 02:39 AM
If you really want to know, or if you really are worried, then see a doctor, and tell them you're fear. They'll be able to confirm or deny it. I have a pretty bas case of it(thats what the doctor says, and what I think now) and like I say, I had no idea, so maybe.

Thanks for the advice :) .

But I've already gone to see a doctor. He first sent me to get a brain scan and that turned out perfectly OK, so now I'm going up to Dublin to see a psychiatrist. I don't really want to put a name on what I'm experiencing just yet. I think it would be safer if I don't. Schizophrenia is just one of the things that I feel could describe what I am experiencing.

MadManWithaBox
April 16th, 2011, 03:50 AM
You're right, cross that bridge when it comes. Hope you don't have schizophrenia is what I'l tell you. Cos like I've said before on this website, it ruined me.

1_21Guns
April 17th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I think you can kinda pick up on the early signs if you're lucky by yourself, but once its taken hold, I don't think you realise straight away, like Matt said he was in complete denial, wouldn't believe it, and I guess that comes in the nature of the whole thing, but yeah. It's best not to leave it to chance of hoping you'll realise yourself, because you might not

MadManWithaBox
April 17th, 2011, 04:57 PM
You won't recognize it right at the start, from my experience. You might only notice yourself, when it gets worse. Hopefully by that point if you do have it, you'll be receiving, and using the appropriate help, cos I didn't really, and I suffered for it, cos like Nat said, I was in denial.